TOP 20 REASONS NOT TO BUY A SUGAR GLIDER FROM VENDORS AT FAIRS, SHOWS, MALLS, EXPOS & FESTIVALS
1. They lie about where their gliders come from
2. Their gliders are often sick with giardia and/or coccydia which can kill the gliders and is transferrable to your other pets and even to people
3. They lie about proper sugar glider care and nutrition
4. The gliders they sell are often underweight
5. The gliders they sell have often been taken from their parents too young and are not ready to be on their own
6. Their cages are too small to be suitable for gliders
7. Their products, including the cages, diet components, pouches, and the gliders themselves are extremely over priced
8. Their gliders often come from mill breeding facilities where gliders are kept in over crowed, unsanitary conditions
9. They advocate the use of heat rocks which are both unnecessary and dangerous for gliders
10. They took it upon themselves to change the name of an entire species from sugar glider to “sugar bear” just to keep you from finding good care, information, and advice when you look up the animal on the internet
11. They tell you that these are easy animals to care for when they actually have special needs
12. They tell you not to listen to anyone but them out of fear that you will find out they are lying to you about these animals
13. They will not allow you to tour their facility or see in person where their gliders are born and raised
14. Their gliders have often been severely inbred leading to deformities and genetic issues like HLP (Hind Leg Paralysis)
15. They tell you these animals never need vet care when they actually DO need vet care and can ONLY be seen by glider knowledgeable exotic vets
16. They tell you sugar gliders will get along with your other pets, when in reality, it is dangerous to let your other pets near a sugar glider as the glider might be injured or even eaten
17. They tell you sugar gliders can survive on nothing but glide-r-chow, glide-a-mins, bread, and apples… in reality, they need a specific calcium to phosphorous ratio and a specific amount of protein in their diet.
18. They tell you gliders do not smell if you do not feed them meat… first of all, they are NOT vegetarians, they are OMNIVORES and they REQUIRE a protein (meat) source in their diet and second of all, the MALES all have SCENT GLANDS on their heads and their chests… they will always have SOME scent once they hit puberty, and the ONLY way to lessen the odor at all is to have them neutered.
19. They don’t tell you important glider facts like how some are prone to a problem called SM (Self-Mutilation) where if they feel pain they are capable to EATING holes in their own bodies to “dig in to find the pain” and they can KILL THEMSELVES by doing so.
20. They claim the products they sell are manufactured by them… but they are actually PURCHASED by them and then repackaged with a new label, so they are taking credit for someone else’s work.
By the way, if you are reading a site that PRAISES PPP chances are they OWN it. Like...